The "brasserie du Bois Vert - Prieur" brewery

The brewery was founded by Jean-Christophe Grunewald in 1672 in the district of "Petite France" in Strasbourg. In 1831 the "Brasserie du Bois Vert" was bought by Daniel Schott.

In 1869 it returned to a member of the family, André Schott, who, tired of the floods, transferred his brewery to Koenigshoffen, in the outskirts of Strasbourg, in 1875, and founded the company "Schott & Prieur" in 1892.

Charles Prieur, his son-in-law, succeeded him in 1890 and completed the new factory at Koenigshoffen in 1904. In 1928, the year of Charles Prieur's death, the production of the brewery reached 100,000 hectoliters. The brothers Paul and Henri Prieur take over the business.

In spite of the destructions suffered during the war, the brewery again produced 150000 hl of beer as early as 1946.

In 1954 the Prieur family handed over the case to the "Grandes Brasseries et Malteries de Champigneulles", but retained a majority shareholding.

The "Brasserie du Bois Vert" merged in 1958 with the "Société des Brasseries de la Meuse" (Society of Breweries of the Meuse). From this union was born the "Mönchenbräu" beer, beer of Alsace-Lorraine.

In 1964 the brewery produces 200,000 hectoliters of beer, a quarter of which is Mönchenbräu.



1966 sees the creation of the S.E.B. ("Société Européenne de Brasseries", European Society of Breweries), a grouping of 23 French breweries, including the "Brasserie de la Meuse".

The brewery Freysz, near the "Brasserie du Bois Vert", is bought in 1967 and closed in 1970.

In 1970 the S.E.B. and the Kronenbourg breweries are taken over by the group B.S.N. (Boussois-Souchon-Neuvesel), which will become the "Danone" group in 1994.

In 1973 the production of the "Brasserie du Bois Vert" reached 310000 hl and 477,000 hl in 1979.

After the year 1982 in which the S.E.B. had registered a serious deficit, the brewery of Koenigshoffen was finally closed in 1983.

The buildings were destroyed in 1986.